Forums · Sleepwalking and talking

Carrie

0 +0

Jun 17 '04

I was just wondering if anyone has ever thought about a possible correlation between sleepwalking/talking and the paranormal?
The reason I ask, I lady on my adoption forum mentioned her little girl waking her up in the middle of the night, whispering in her ear, "Mama, get those people out of here. I don't like them very much." The little one was sleepwalking when this happened, but gosh, it makes me wonder if something else might have been going on too.

Brianna, at 17 months, has a tendency to do this also. She has night terrors every once in a while, which are pretty scary episodes. However, in the early hours of the morning, I sometimes hear her talking in the sweetest little voice, just like she is carrying on a conversation, playing with someone. The odd thing is, and I feel a little nutty admitting this, I could swear sometimes I hear another voice in there. It is very low, and I can't make out any words. I've thought of my parents and grandparents. Anyhow, when I go in there to check, she is fast asleep. Brianna isn't speaking in sentences yet, but her receptive language skills are great. I did ask her one time who she was talking to, and she said, "Nana".

I'm really wondering if there is some kind of connection. Any other sleepwalkers/talkers out there have any thoughts on this?
Rating: 0

Kevin P

0 +0

Jun 17 '04

Well, I think it's very possible that at least some sleepwalkers/talkers could be having contact with those who have passed on. Think about it, the easiest way for spirits to get in contact with you is in your dreams, right?

Of course, that doesn't mean that every sleepwalker is making contact. Some have medical problems that prevent the paralysis mechanism from kicking in during dreams, which can lead to sleepwalking/talking. They can be regular, normal, "brain defragmenting its files" dreams as I like to call them, or they could be the more psychic kind, contacting the other side dreams.

As for Brianna, it seems to me like she's getting to know her grandparents!

cat!spiritkeep

0 +0

Jun 18 '04

My hubby thinks I have another life when I sleep - as a talk show host. I have woken him countless times with my talking heck I've woken up talking. Not all experiences have been good ones for him (or me). On a number of occasions he was shaken by it as he said my voice changed it did not sound like me at all. I spoke in a much deeper tone and a couple of times he detected an accent and once it sounded like a different language. At those times he found it difficult to wake me. Most often though it's me yapping away sometimes making no sense and others like I'm talking with or to someone. He says I also laungh and giggle quite a bit when I sleep.

One very strange happening we both experienced. I was asleep yet I felt awake. I found myself flying up into darkness. I knew I was out in the night sky. I remember thinking where are all the stars and wanting so much to see someone else out there. After a short time I felt uneasy, unsure of my surroundings. I didn't know how to get back and I started to call out my husbands name. It sounded echo like to me, the way it does in an empty room. At that same time hub, who was in another room and could hear me calling him. He said it sounded strange like I was in a tin can. He started to call back to me but I didn't answer. The strangest part was he said it didn't sound like I was calling from the bedroom but from the basement. He wondered how he didn't see me walk past him. Well he soon discovered I was not in the basement but in the bedroom.

My boys use to sleepwalk when younger and they still at times talk in their sleep. Once when they were little long after they had gone to bed I heard them both talking. I got up to shoo them back to bed to find both of them sleeping in their own seperate bedrooms. Funny thing was they were having a conversation with each other. I stood and listened for a bit amazed at how this could be happening. I'm watching them sleep and they are chatting like they are awake in the same room together.

I feel there is more to sleeping then just sleeping. Our waking mind relaxes to allow the subconscious out. It is then we can find answers to problems or make contact with loved ones or have others contact us. I believe when we dream of others who have passed that often we are having visits with them (unless it is a recall dream of something you did together in past). So if that is the case then perhaps sometimes when we talk we truly are talking to someone? Children being more receptive then we likely have regular visits from family/others on the other side. Carrie I'll bet Brianna is having visits with Nana.

Maybe that is partly why I don't sleep a lot. I am a vivid dreamer and have had many different sometimes scary sleep encounters. Well before you all think I'm off my rocker I'll leave it with those thoughts and experiences.
=)

hallowseve

0 +0

Jun 19 '04

Dreams are one of those things, they still can't peg down everything that is going on in someones' mind when we're sleeping.
I haven't been visited been any relatives while dreaming, but I have gotten some warnings.
Cat, that was spooky!
Carrie, anything is possible.
When you go into her room, do you feel anything? Like a vibe or anything armhairs stand up? Cold spot?
Did she get to meet Nana?
That's really fascinating! The- get those people outta here, gave me the spookers too! [Shock] [Eek!]

Carrie

0 +0

Jun 19 '04

Cat, what fascinating stories!! James does really weird things in his sleep too. I have seen him mumbling about computer programming while he was zonked out, and even pick up a framed photo and tapped his fingers on it like he was typing on a keyboard. I've also heard James speak in an odd voice when he has these episodes.
Hallow, Brianna did get to meet her Nana. Mom lasted about a month after we brought Brianna home. While Mom was still coherent, she told me that she couldn't wait to visit Brianna and show her to my father and grandparents. I, in turn, told her to visit any time she wanted to. I haven't noticed any unusual feelings in her room, I'm usually in another room when I hear this, and by the time I get there, she is either just waking up, or back to sleep.
Incidentally, I had taken a photo that my parents had made about five years ago and hung it up in our den several months back. This was before Brianna was really talking, but her reaction to the picture was interesting. She would point to my father (who was always a favorite with children) and giggle and coo. I figured she had become acquainted with him! =)
I really do wonder if some sleeptalkers/walkers are communicating with spirits that the rest of us aren't seeing. I may try to keep a camera handy and snap a photo the next time she does this.
Hallow, the "get those people out of here" comment gave me the shivers too!! [Nerd]

SavannahSilkie

0 +0

Jun 21 '04

My son, who is now 17 years old, had night terrors from about 3 years old till he was 5. He would literally scare the bejesus out of me. [Laughing] I woke up once and he was standing by my bed, eyes open, but yet he looked as if he were "not there" (if that makes sense.) He would scream in his sleep, and once he was standing and banging on his closet door, and saying let me out...but he wasn't "in" the closet. Then he would just lay down and off to sleep he went. He had imaginary friends, too. I talked to the doc about it, and he said it was a common thing for many children. I thought I was doing something wrong, but he was spoiled, in a happy lovng home, and i could see no reason for it. I monitored his tv and so forth. I have no idea why they do that. But, one thing I do think is possible... and that is that they have not been that long gone from God and I believe they do see and hear their guardian angels (could be their imaginary friends, never know)... and I sure wouldn't rule out the possibility of them hearing and seeing grandparents they've never met in this world. Our souls come from somewhere and they may have met them before they entered this world. That's my "funky" perspective on things, for what it's worth. lol

Carrie

0 +0

Jun 21 '04

Pate, I had a very vivid imaginary playmate when I was little, two in fact. One was a little boy in pioneer era clothing, the other a little girl with curly red hair dressed in boys' overalls. To this day, I'm not sure if they were something I was indeed seeing, or something my imagination conjured up.
I understand exactly what you mean by that "not there" look. I'm sure a doctor or scientist would give me a very logical, pat answer; but, I just can't help but wonder.

wilhelmina

0 +0

Jun 29 '04

Hello poeple, Im back!
I sleepwalk quite a lot, and I talk in my sleep as well. Sometimes I too have wondered if it isnt connected to something out of the ordinary/paranormal or whatever you wanna say... Sometimes Ive woken my mom, tried to tell her something REALLY important, but I always wake up before Ive come to the interesting part... And the last time it happened I came into her room and said: "It is touching me inside", which my mom felt was kinda spooky. Dont know what it could mean, though...'
hugs
/w

nakis

0 +0

Jul 9 '04

In my experience sleepwalking and talking have been caused by two things.

First was being emotionally and mentally disturbed. The emotional and mental problems brought on in my childhood caused me to sleepwalk and talk (and to almost constantly move in my sleep).

The other was contact with spirits. The last place I lived in there was a spirit of a little girl who was very anxious to get me to turn on a light(quite often).
And I found myself talking to people while waking up. Not just saying things in my sleep but having that knowing that I was actually conversing with someone. Waking up knowing that there are more than several spirits in the room.

I'm a firm believer that the paranormal is a cause for different sleep behaviors. Not just walking and talking. In my experience it is a reality.

I was in line behind a woman with two kids the other day. One was a little girl about 2 y.o.. I did the usual wave hi and smiled, etc.. But while I was focusing on other things she was still looking at me and started laughing and giggling. She was looking at me. There was no one behind me and I wasn't entertaining her. I got the distinct feeling that it was someone else (spirit) that was with me that was making her laugh. =)

Amy25

0 +0

Mar 16 '12

I also talk in my sleep. I am 25 now but have ever since I was little. I've blown it off until recently when I thought it could be something more to it. Hypersensitivity runs in my family, it's not abnormal to hear, see or sense things. My mom told me when I was little she would hear me laughing away, and I would be sound asleep. That, there were times to that someone would walk in the room and I would start talking to them, even ask them for something using their name, and again I was sound asleep. Still to this day I talk in my sleep. My boyfriend complains about it often. Sometimes I wake myself up and can hear what I am saying but am still half asleep, and go back to sleep completely. Other times, I'll completely wake myself up, and depending on the context of what I was saying, will either be scared out of my mind, or fine; having no recollection of what I said. I've been thinking about how to prove the theory of whether or not I just have these crazy dreams, which I know I do have, that cause me to talk. Or if in fact, or at least some of the time, something is trying to communicate with me. But I don't know how? Or where to begin. I am also scared of the outcome...what if something really is talking to me. If any of you have had dreams of sprits, or of being haunted as I have, to think that something like that might talking to you is beyond creepy. Anyway please let me know what your intake on this is. I'm really curious to know. ~Amy

monica3

0 +0

Apr 21 '12

I think the there are times sleepwalking and such go deeper than most think. I've had some very odd experiences during my lifetime starting since I was a little girl. I also sleepwalked and could carry a full conversation but by morning not recall anything about it. But it has gone deeper than this. I was living in a haunted house for 20 years. Then again, I've had issues every where I've been but that house had severe demonic issues in which I had a difficult time getting control of. I always felt off in the house and would dismiss it like I always tried to do until it wouldn't let me dismiss it anymore and then it started to manifest in front of friends, family and others such as a nurse who started coming to our home. I was also awoken one night feeling someone stareing at me and that night I wasn't in the mood and questioned whether or not I would open my eyes. I've seen things that would scare most. Even one of my son's friend's came over to play and witnessed an event that made the poor kid cry at the age of 13. Anyway, I found my son standing there stareing at me, looking blank and his eyes looked somewhat darker. His father jumped up after I did. His father went to say something to our son and I told him to stay still and be quiet. I am what most would call a non controllled psychic/medium, although I try not to look at myself that way. I've learned that on the medium part, I can control it if I wanted to with practice but my fear in God is greater. Something didn't feel right and at that point I felt a spirit present. Very calmly I told my son to climb up in bed with us. He did and smiled at me in a real creepy, wicked way. I told him to close his eyes and go to sleep. He closed them, turning his head to a straighter position. I waited for a few minutes and tested him again. Calmly I asked if he was okay. His eyes popped open immediately, he turned his head and gave me another wicked small smile. I told him to go back to sleep. I told his father something doesn't feel right. Let him be. It will go away. It did adventually. We went back to sleep. An hour later I hear my name being called out by my husband. I turned over and looked at him and he was still lying down but with his head rested on his palm while his elbow was rested up on the bed. He stared at me. I was thinking "great now what". I wasn't getting sleep that night. He then asked me if I had my black stones on me. I didn't but lied and said I did. he said ok and laid back down and closed his eyes. Neither of them remembered what they did that night as I knew they wouldn't. I didn't feel it was something that was going to last though, although I didn't appreciate what the spirits were doing to my family. Those stones they were referring to were for protection and I can guarantee they already knew I didn't have them but they like to mess with you. I don't use them anymore, only a lot of prayer which has helped me more. They didn't like it though. Recently we moved. I felt one spirit here when we first came but it didn't feel negative and it surely was much better than living in a house that had a railway station for spirits coming thru. The lady told me a woman lived here for 20 yrs but I was sensing a male spirit and I couldn't quite figure it out. Come to find out 2 weeks later, I learned from a neighbor that she had a husband and she moved out after he died. That explained it. She was too old to care for herself when she left. Now this week something else odd happened and I don't know if I'm being played with or if she possibly may have died recently too. I tend to speak outloud in my sleep too and so does my other 2 sons. However, this week was different. My husband has woken me up fighting demons in my sleep before. I get loud. But here this week he woke me up and I scared him even more. He said my voice was not mine at all. I never asked him how it sounded because he was too shooken up. Moving takes a lot of time and my prayer time has been limited which probably isn't a plus for me right now. Plus I had not been grounding myself daily which I have just started back up. I do it for my kids too since they can sense and see spirits. The other morning while I'm sitting down, I hear my son speaking in his sleep but he sounded like an old woman. There is no way he could have changed his voice that drastically. He said, "who are you? Why are you here in my home"? When I talked to my husband that night I told him that our son sounded like an old woman. He said that was how I sounded. So indeed I do feel there is more to it than what doctors and scientists think. I might do a little research on the people who lived here prior. But even then, demons can pose as them too. But there is a way to figure that out too.