Forums · Petra

KellKell

0 +0

Jul 8 '03

I've always been facsinated by the ancient city of Petra, located in modern day Jordan, in the mountains near the Isreali border, close to the Red Sea. It was built around the 6th century B.C. by the Nabatean Arabs (nomadic tribe) out of solid rock (sandstone)!

Take a look at some of the photos...

Petra - history & photos[/URL]
Virtual Tour of Petra[/URL]

Kell

Trinity

0 +0

Jul 13 '03

I have to say, I'd never heard of petra before this post Kell. It's fascinating though! OMG and what beautiful architecture! The time it must have taken to carve all of that out of the sand stone. I love that kind of stuff...learning about ancient civilazations and what not. Thank you for posting those links....I'm going to look into it more! =)
Rating: 0

KellKell

0 +0

Jul 13 '03

You're welcome, Trin. =) Petra is a most amazing place - I'd love to see it in person. I also wish we knew more about the civilization that created it! =P

Kell

wendy 3170

0 +0

Jul 18 '03

All of this reading was educational.Ive read on Peru many times years ago. And I really didnt realize how much of it there is..Beautiful...Going through your maps on the Inca Trail was interesting...I would love myself to go for a visit someday...Just seems you couldent get enough...Now that would be an extended vacation.... :banana:

Isis

0 +0

Feb 16 '05

Petra is a fabulous place. There is something magical about riding down a beautiful sandstone canyon seeing ancient road signs and statues all over, then when exiting the canyon to suddenly be faced with the beautiful facade of a building carved out of solid rock. The temples, tombs and homes are build right out of the sides of the canyon. And as you travel along you can see that many of the local people have actually moved into some of the places. There's also a very roman influence. There's a very neat amphitheater that was fun to yell in. =)

If you are ever in Jordan I highly recommend going to Petra.

bobbygee

0 +0

Feb 18 '05

Wow! Like Trinity, I didn't know about Petra Either. Such an amazing place! Yes, you are right,...it would be interesting to find out about the people,..and the hands that built that city! Incredible!

Bobbygee