Parapedia - Missing In-Laws

In the spring of 1987, Wendy Britto of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, was a divorced mother with a young daughter when she fell in love with a co-worker named Chad Noe. According to Wendy's mother, Jackie Taylor:

"They hit it off fairly quickly and started a relationship. And then she got pregnant with her second child. And he convinced her to marry him. And they got married about three or four weeks before Jonathan was born."

Just one month after Jonathan's birth, Wendy developed a crippling case of multiple sclerosis. She was hospitalized for nearly a year. Chad filed for divorce and was awarded primary custody of Jonathan. Chad felt he should raise Jonathan alone:

"Of course, along with the MS, I didn't think that she would be able to help me raise my child. And instead of having two people, or two children to deal with, I just decided that it was best if we got a divorce and I help raise the child on my own."

Wendy Camp was too sick to fight the divorce or the custody decision. For two years, she went through physical therapy just to regain simple skills like eating and walking. Then, her life took a positive turn, at least for a while. During this time, friends introduced Wendy to Leon Camp. They fell in love and were married. Wendy's first child, Cynthia, lived with them. Wendy's condition improved. So she asked her ex-husband, Chad, for visits with Jonathan.

At first, everything went smoothly. Jonathan spent a few weekends with Wendy and Leon. Then, according to Wendy's mother, Chad's family began to sabotage the visits:

"She would call and make an appointment with them, set up a time and everything for her to see him. And she would go there and they would not be at home. And then they kept moving and getting unlisted phone numbers, this type of thing. So it was almost impossible to keep track of them."

Chad Noe remembers it differently:

"She was allowed to visit him whenever she wanted. And there was never any real hard feelings up until my mother informed me that he was being sexually molested and then that's whenever the visitations were cut off."

Wendy's husband, Leon Camp:

"There was no molestation. Not once. And the idea of them thinking it just tore me up inside. I was mad."

The charges of sexual abuse against Leon couldn't be proved or disproved. The court ordered that Wendy and Leon's visits resume and cited Chad for contempt. For more than six months, Chad refused to allow Jonathan to visit. Then on May 29, 1992, he had a sudden change of heart. Chad even offered to have his mother, Beverly Noe, pick up Wendy, since she was unable to drive. Leon said that he didn't want Wendy to go alone:

"I didn't trust these people and me and Chad didn't get along. And I was just, something inside of me I just felt like she better not go by herself."

By the time Beverly arrived, Leon had convinced his sister, Lisa Renee Kregear, to go with Wendy and Cynthia. According to Leon:

"I kissed Wendy good-bye first and they got in the car and took off and I waved at 'em and that was the last time I saw them."

The 115-mile drive to Chad's home in Shamrock, Oklahoma, took just over two hours. When the group arrived, Wendy called Leon:

"The first time she called me that day was to let me know that she'd made it alright.

Chad Noe:

"She and Jonathan and Cynthia played for awhile. But she mostly sat there and drank coffee with me out on the porch and talked."

When it was time for Wendy to say good-bye to Jonathan, she, Cynthia and Lisa Renee climbed back into Beverly's car. Chad's grandmother, Ida Prewitt, joined them for the ride. Before leaving Shamrock, Wendy called Leon again:

"About 4:30, 4:45 she called me to let me know how the visit went. She said that Beverly was in a hurry and she had to get off the phone. And that was the last I talked to her."

According to Chad's grandmother Ida, Wendy was unpleasant from the very beginning:

"And all this time, all the way to town she's just griping and bitchin' and that's all she could do. So after they got back in the car and everything, I told them, just take me back home. I said, you gotta put up with this but I don't. So she brought me back home and then she went on."

Ida says Chad's mother later reported that the bickering continued for the next half hour:

"She said by the time she got to Chandler she'd had just about all she could stand. And she pulled into Wal-Mart and told them to get out."

Beverly told police that she pulled into a shopping center parking lot 45 miles from Wendy's home. She then ordered Wendy, Cynthia, and Lisa Renee out of the car. They never returned home. They never called. They never asked anyone for help. It was as though they had dropped off the face of the earth. According to Jackie Johnson with the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation:

"We did an aerial search which involved four and five airplanes searching a five county area. It also involved several search teams. And nothing was discovered at that time."

Jackie Taylor suspected foul play:

"Wendy was very, very dependent upon Leon. And she'd already called twice. She would've immediately gone in and called her husband. Or if she wasn't able to get a hold of him, she would have called me. I feel that my daughter and my granddaughter and the sister-in-law were murdered that Friday night. I feel that Ida, Beverly, and Chad, all three of them are involved. I feel that they pretty well had the plans laid out on what they were going to do when they made the phone call to ask Wendy if she wanted to see Jonathan. And I figure whoever got in that car, they were going to do what they had planned to do."

Ida Prewitt denies the accusations:

"Beverly and I did not have anything to do with their disappearances. And I know this. I don't care whether they know it or not, or believe it. But I know it."

Chad Noe:

"There is no way that I or my grandma or my mother could kill them. Or ship them off somewhere."

In spite of Chad's denials, two residents of Shamrock have told authorities they overhead him boasting that he had killed Wendy, Cynthia, and Lisa Renee, and that no one would ever find their bodies. Chad Noe:

"Maybe in one of my drunker stupors I might've popped off, 'Oh yeah, yeah I did it.' But there ain't no way I could've done something like that. I'm not a violent person."

No physical evidence has ever been found to indicate what happened to Wendy Camp, Cynthia Britto, and Lisa Renee Kregear. They simply vanished without a trace.