Forums · St. Augustine Ghost Tour

Alan Again

0 +0

Jan 7 '08

Been away from SpiritKeep for a while now ... away from doing anything with ghosties... but just recently the interest was somewhat rekindled when my wife (Kim) and I went to St. Augustine FL for our 6th anniversary. We decided to do it all ... while there... things we had wanted to in the past but for lack of time and funds did not. We took a carriage ride and a ghost tour from Ripley's. Found out some history about the places that I had not known. For instance the Fountain of Youth grounds also is an Indian Burial and Sacrificial ground. The tour guide told us that the area we were walking past was a place that they sacrificed infants to some god. Kim snapped these photos of that area. I have never seen so many brightly colored orbs.
 -
 -
As you can see the first pic only had a few.. the second taken a few seconds later blossoming in color.
During my phototaking there with my camera I did not get many orbs but I was more getting energy ribbons which was a first for me.
Here is one that surprised me the one orb in the top left corner ... but the vivid energy that streaked across in front of my lens. I was shooting into complete darkness. I was shooting away from the rest of the group.. because I always have a feeling that I might miss something behind us...
 -

Later we went to the hugenot cemetery I took pics there but got nothing Kim got more orbs but I have not gotten them uploaded yet. Then we toured the Ripley's Believe It or Not museum after hours with the lights out.
 -

The Mansion was a turn of the century summer cottage of a tycoon. Then sat empty and abandonned through the depression. Then in the 40's it was taken over and made into a resort for Hollywoods Rich and Famous. During this time many wealthy famous people stayed at the resort including Ripley himself. Later his surviving family purchased the resort and turned it into the first Ripley's Museum. There was a mysterious fire in the resort on the second floor during the 40's in which two women died. The fire was suspected to be set to cover a murder. The other woman died of smoke inhalation and was discovered in her bathroom. While on this tour I passed a room that had a chair with a towel draped across and there was a claw foot tub in the room as well. I just snapped a quick pic into the room. I saw the the room light up there was nothing there out of the ordinary... but the image produced an errie red smoke filling the room.
 -

[ February 04, 2008, 09:33 PM: Message edited by: Alan Again ]
Rating: 0

Alan Again

0 +0

Jan 7 '08

Oh and here is the one Kim took of the cemetery. These were victims of yellow fever. There are only a few hundred headstones .. but thousands are buried here .. as each stone represents a family. Some were buried alive as yellow fever induced and coma that was so deep it was hard to tell.. if still alive. Bells were placed on each grave so that if someone was still alive they could be dug up upon ringing the bell. Again more color orbs ... thousands of orbs.
 -

[ February 04, 2008, 09:35 PM: Message edited by: Alan Again ]

nakis

0 +0

Feb 1 '08

I took a tour as well the last time I was in St. Augustine. Nice place. The tour wasn't too impressive. Nice bits of history. But I picked up on very little though. Probably my fault. Stress from traveling and all.

Sounds like you took the tour that has the office by the gate.

I didn't think much of the spot with the street light that goes on and off.

I'll proabably check out one of the other ones based more to the south side.

Sorry I didn't comment on your pictures. I can't see them. Picture sites are blocked.

seaghost

0 +0

Feb 1 '08

I agree with you nakis- the tours aren't really all that impressive. Actually they are pretty much legend and BS to sell a ticket. We all shake our heads at this nonsense.
The real history of ST. Augustine is so much more fascinating.

So beware in Old ST. Augustine- it's all in good fun though and you will get the flavor of the town.
Generally you will get a better idea of history at the spanish quarter, the castillo, the oldest house and the lighthouse.These are good tours.

There are some very very real hot spots you can go to and there are just some we know about and they are never on the tour.

The Castillo is haunted.

The lighthouse is very active. Been in it when it was really hoppin a few times. The stuff on TAPS was right on...have seen what they filmed.

The Old Jail is really active...NO matter what they said on TAPS. That place rocks with activity.

I am trying to think of some others where I have been at the ground zero moment...

Oh yes- the upstairs of Scarlet O'Hara's on Hypolita Street.

The Spanish Hospital on Charlotte STreet. (also a good tour)

Whatever business is currently in 63 Spanish ST.- way haunted...used to be a public house a whorehouse and residence a couple centuries ago...pirates, swordfights- all the fun stuff...it was called "the Bucket of Blood". A man hung himself in the stairway.that one is true.

Then there are the moments you simply walk right through something as you stroll down the street. Like on Mulvey Street- on the edge of the christian indian burial ground.

You simply get used to ghosts when you are from a place like ST. AUG. It is so very old in terms of America. So many layers of lives, loves,tragedy.

Can you imagine living in Europe where everything is so much older?? Whew!!! What a trip that must be!!

Anyway- those are a few places you can go to that I have really had the goods delivered on.

Got home there for Christmas, Stayed on the bayfront at the new Hilton. The restaurant there is really good.

There is one warning we always give the tourists-DO NOT INGEST ANYTHING AT THE SANTA MARIA RESTAURANT UNLESS IT IS THE LONG ISLAND ICED TEA(WHICH IS AN AWESOME LIIT!) The food is godawful!!

I hope if you visit my home again you will find it a bit more enjoyable with these bits of knowledge in hand. Just remember you dont need to go on a ghost tour to find the goods!!!!!

Happy ghost hunting!!!!

SEA.

[ February 02, 2008, 05:14 AM: Message edited by: seaghost ]

seaghost

0 +0

Feb 1 '08

I forgot to tell you all about one other place that has many legends connected to it- Flagler College/Flagler's Hotel Ponce De Leon. I really have had no experiences in there of a specific nature.I suppose it is haunted as are all old hotels.

One night I got a private tour of the place- saw all the forbidden areas. We were really sneaking!!Nothing much but an ocassional hair raising chill. We went up to the roof and before you go out onto it there is a room over the lobby area that you cant walk on because you may find yourself splatted on the inlaid marble floor far far below. Henry Flagler's 3nd wife was a total crazy- she died in a nuthouse up north somewhere and she had a giant magic circle/zodiac design in red yellow and green painted on it for secret ceremonies. In the glow of a flashlight it was very eerie. I got out onto the roof quickly!!!

I know you cant go and see this but at least you will know what almost no one in town knows is up there. Creepy!!!! Even for me!

Sea.

seaghost

0 +0

Feb 1 '08

correction- oh I am so tired I do apologize... it was Henry Flgaler's 2nd wife. I'm a history geek and supposed to get it right!! Sorry for the boo boo.His 3rd wife was quite cool.

Sea.

Alan Again

0 +0

Feb 4 '08

Not really sure what you mean about photo sites being blocked I click the links and the pics appear.
 -
We did visit all those sites ... I do prefer the old as to the new... impressive or not on the tour ... I can't deny what I caught with my camera .. what my wife caught... I thought the tour was fun. I got to go places at night that were closed ... for the most part our tour guide was right on with the history books I have read about St. Augustine and the area. But you are right they are there to sell tickets and make money ... As would I if I were living there. When visiting towns like that I often find myself off the beaten path ... going through the older residential neighborhoods... finding the almost forgotten areas. Another reason I hate driving on interstate highways. I like going through the ghost towns created by them.

[ February 04, 2008, 09:19 PM: Message edited by: Alan Again ]

nakis

0 +0

Feb 6 '08

Alan, I meant they are blocked to me. My company blocks picture library sites. I just wanted to explain that to let you know I'm not being rude for not saying anything about your pictures. I just can't see them. I wish I could.

I'm fortunate that I have one brother who lives in Jacksonville and another who spent several years there while in the Coast Guard. I got some nice tours of the area. I got to see (from the outside) all the places you mentioned Seaghost.
Thanks for all the references.
Could you post the better ghost tours? If you've read the stuff I written on this site you know I agree that you don't need tours to find ghosties. I find them everywhere. But it's nice to have the tour. My brothers are into ghosts sort of. It's good to have the ghost tour as a tourist cover for going ghost hunting. Which is the wonderful thing about this site. You get to share much of your ghostly experiences that people in your life are not too willing to share.

You guys have me all excited about going back to St. Augustine. =) =)