Forums · La Llorona

Aphrodite2

0 +0

Jul 3 '03

hello to every one here.just gotta say that version is alot different from the one I know.the native american girl did fall in love with a white man but did not marry because he was military officer ,(that was a bad thing back then).well anyway she got pregnant every one in her tribe basicly booted her out because not only was she about to give birth out of wedlock she was giving birth to a biracial child.after the baby was born she got very sick and tribe elders took her baby and threw into a lake or something only to have the mother to follow when she recovered.witnesses are said to hear her cries for the infant daughter she never got to know on the very night she killed herself.
Rating: 0

Ghostdancer

0 +0

Jul 3 '03

True, there are different versions of the story; I've heard one where the subject was a man rather then a woman.

KellKell

0 +0

Jul 4 '03

Interesting tale! It doesn't surprise me that there are different versions either. When I read it, I was reminded of a story that was sent to us a few months ago from a person in Mexico, although this one is different, there are some parallels: What Was This Thing?[/URL]

Aphrodite, welcome to SpiritKeep! =)

Kell

[ July 04, 2003, 01:14 AM: Message edited by: KellKell ]

loner

0 +0

Aug 29 '03

I was born and raised in New Mexico. The version I always heard was of a wailing female ghost who wandered down ditchbanks (the only bodies of water besides the Rio Grande) crying because she had somehow drowned her baby.

Dead Silence

0 +0

Sep 10 '03

La Llorona puts me very much in mind of the tragic Susan Smith story.

Ghostdancer

0 +0

Sep 13 '03

I was born in Tucson and the local version places her at the Santa Cruz river. Yeah, it does sound a little like Susan Smith.

Ghostdancer

0 +0

Jun 30 '04

Here is another link on the subject which goes into more detail; particularly with the human element behind the legend. I don't think I've read another where the name of the woman is given or of all the events leading up to when she murders her children as is done here.

La Llorona[/URL]

It kind of makes me wonder if there are any records from over a century earlier of anyone murdering their children in this fashion in the southwest.

greenfaerie

0 +0

Jul 13 '04

They bring up La Llorona in the movie "chasing papi" but in a light way, if that makes since.

One of the girls threatens him with her.

bobbygee

0 +0

Sep 14 '04

hi, yes it is an interesting story. my parents came from Matamoros, Mexico and they handed down that tale to us. I did read that she was supposed to marry a man of a different race and so brought shame to the family. also, i had read somewhere years ago that a movie about la Llorona was going to be made.

Ghostdancer

0 +0

Sep 14 '04

quote:

bobbygee

0 +0

Sep 14 '04

Ghostdancer: You know, I just can't remember where I had read about the la Llorona film,... but at about the same time I had read an article about Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones working on a movie about blues legend Robert Johnson. I was looking forward to both films (being a fan of both Richards & Johnson). That's another interesting story,... Robert Johnson selling his soul to the devil at the crossroads in order to become a master guitar player. I have heard of the vanishing hitch-hiker, but not the lavender ghost. what is the story behind it? Peace.
Darkstar

Ghostdancer

0 +0

Sep 14 '04

quote:

bobbygee

0 +0

Sep 14 '04

Thanks for the info GhostDancer, it is simular to our Resurrection Mary here in Chicago. Peace. Darkstar

NMLadyNative

0 +0

Mar 22 '08

We have La Llorona here too.
Myself, I sympathize with her.
I wish that I could unbreak her heart and whatever damage was done many millenia ago.
I wish I could help her to cross to joy and healing.